Creamy, Light Macaroni and Cheese
This kid friendly dish is much lighter than the original versions of Mac & Cheese because it substitutes some cheese for butternut squash and cream for yogurt. The kids will never even notice the butternut squash (no, really). This dish is a great way to get some orange veggies into their diet and you will love it to!
1 1/2 cups cubed butternut squash (approximately one squash)
10 tablespoons low sodium chicken broth
3/4 cup nonfat milk
1 clove garlic
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon fine ground black pepper
1 tablespoon nonfat Greek yogurt
10 tablespoons shredded Gruyere cheese (5 ounces)
1/2 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese (4 ounces)
2 tablespoons Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated and divided (1 ounce)
1/2 cup pasta, cavatappi uncooked
1/2 teaspoon olive oil
1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
1 tablespoon freshly chopped parsley
Cooking spray as needed.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Combine squash, broth, milk, and garlic in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium, and simmer until squash is tender when pierced with a fork, about 25 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Place the hot squash mixture in a blender. Add salt, pepper, and Greek yogurt. Remove the center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure blender lid on blender. Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid (to avoid splatters). Blend until smooth. Place blended squash mixture in a bowl; stir in Gruyère, Pecorino Romano, and 2 tablespoons of Parmigiano-Reggiano. Stir until combined.
- Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat; drain well. Add pasta to squash mixture and stir until combined. Spread mixture evenly into a 13 x 9-inch glass or ceramic baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add panko, and cook for 2 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from heat; stir in remaining 2 tablespoons of Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese. Sprinkle evenly over the hot pasta mixture. Lightly coat topping with cooking spray.
- Bake at 375° for 25 minutes or until bubbly. Sprinkle with fresh parsley, and serve immediately.
About My Chef Lara
My Chef Lara is comprised of three chefs who believe that wellness starts with the food we eat. Cooking and eating for your health is within everyone’s reach and we are here to educate people that they can achieve their wellness goals and still enjoy what they eat.
My Chef Lara cooks custom meals to your specifications, packages them and put them into your refrigerator and freezer for you to eat at your convenience. We offer this service as delivery or in-home service. Our model of cooking many meals at once makes our services affordable and our customization allows you to reach whatever goals or needs you desire.
Contact us to help you with reaching your goals and to see what other services we can offer you.
Phone: 401.831.1657 Email:email@example.com Website: http://www.mycheflara.com